Starting school is a major event in a child’s life. We try to make this important event as pleasant and enriching as possible.
Please bring your child’s birth certificate and immunisation certificate.
Click here to use our Linc Ed online enrolment form.
Our School Zone
All students who live within the home zone described below and shown on the attached map shall be entitled to enrol at the school.
Addresses on both sides of boundary roads are included unless otherwise stated below.
- From the intersection of Carmen Road / Masham Road (SH1) and Buchannans Road,
- North along the West side of Masham Road (SH1) to the Masham Road / Russley Road / Yaldhurst Road intersection.
- West along Yaldhurst Road to 481 Yaldhurst Road
- South on the access road servicing addresses 473-481 Yaldhurst Road, then South to Buchannans Road, including the entirety of the Delamain Subdivision
o Buchannans Road from Jarnac Blvd to Pound Road is also included
- From the intersection of Jarnac Blvd and Buchannans Road,
- East on Buchannans Road to the high voltage transmissions lines to the West of Gilberthorpe School.
- South along the transmissions lines to Roberts Road.
- East along the North side of Roberts Road to Brunner Street
o The north side of Roberts Road between the transmissions lines and Pound Road is also included
- East along Roberts road (both sides) to Gilberthorpes Road
- North on Gilberthorpes Road to Wycola Ave
- East on Wycola Ave to Manurere St
- North on Manuriri St to Aurora St
- East on Aurura St to Hei Hei Road
- North on Hei Hei Road to Buchanans Road
o Hei Hei Road from Aurura St to Tirangi St is also included
- East on Buchanans Road to Carmen Road / Masham Road (SH1)
Proof of residence within the home zone may be required.
All stationery can be purchased from our school office. Costs are outlined on our stationery lists.
Please see Te Ara Whakatau’s list for children in Kura Pounamu, Wawata, Auaha and Māia.
- Te Ara Whakatau Stationery and Costs List
Please see Te Ara Takitini’s list for children in Ngākaunui, Manawaroa and Whakamanawa.
Our school uniform colour is blue. We do not have our school logo on our uniform so families are able to purchase items from different retail outlets which can work out to be less expensive. There are some variations in how children can put items together. Wide brimmed hats are compulsory in terms one and four.
Classroom teachers will take the roll at 9am and again after lunch. If there is an unexplained absence, families will be contacted.
Regular attendance at school is vital if your child is to maintain a satisfactory standard of learning. It is also important that your child arrives at school on time. If your child is absent or late for any reason we appreciate a telephone call to notify us – phone 349 7363. We also have a cell phone you can text us on 0273507435
Children are encouraged to bring a healthy lunch from home. Children are not permitted to leave the school to go to shops during the lunch time. Parents should advise the school if they wish for their child to go home for lunch.
We have a small school canteen that we run one day a week. In 2020, we will be running different lunch options which students will be notified about throughout each term.
Policies & Procedures
The school works on a subscription basis with SchoolDocs to maintain, update, and review our policies. This system provides us with a comprehensive core set of policies which have been well researched and follow the Ministry of Education National Administration Guidelines. The policies and procedures are tailored to our school, and the school supplies specific information such as our charter, and procedures for behaviour management, reporting to parents, etc.
Policies are monitored by SchoolDocs and updated, modified, or created in response to changes in legislation, significant events, Ministry guidelines, reviews/requests from schools, and regular reviewing from the SchoolDocs team. Our board of trustees has the opportunity to view changes and additions and comment on them before they are implemented.
We will advise you when policies are up for review and how you can take part in the review.
We invite you to visit the site at http://gilberthorpe.schooldocs.co.nz/